JetBlue Thread 1

submitted by avi8

He everyone. I just thought it would be nice to have a permanent forum for Jetblue since it's making the news quite frequently. To start off with a topic, can someone explain to the a-netters how JetBlue's focus city in San Juan works. They don't offer many intra-carribean connections. Another interesting discussion would be their rumored expansion plan in Central America. Any guesses?

all comments

1. jfklganyc

"They don't offer many intra-carribean connections."

But they will! Heavy 190 flying coming.

2. jonathanxxxx

Quoting avi8 (Thread starter):

. To start off with a topic, can someone explain to the a-netters how JetBlue's focus city in San Juan works. They don't offer many intra-carribean connections. Another interesting discussion would be their rumored expansion plan in Central America. Any guesses?

Well you have to consider that jetBlue can practically make even the lowest-yeild passengers somewhat profitable. Due to the fact that the main routes they run are JFK, MCO, BOS and FLL it's pretty easy to fill planes there. Then you have STX, STT, SXM and all the Dominican destinations from SJU to connect to. While it's no large operation it's definitely relying on connections and O&D equally. The main reason AA didn't make it because it's not worth it for them to have a Caribbean hub there when MIA is not that far. Not to mention their cost structure..

3. avi8

But JetBlue also has FLL.

4. jlbmedia

Why has JetBlue avoided PHL? Has Jetblue missed it's chance now that US Airways has seemingly beat back WN there? Is there even a chance that JetBlue would even try PHL now?

5. jonathanxxxx

Quoting avi8 (Reply 3):

But JetBlue also has FLL.

Yes but sadly (to me at least), they haven't expressed that much interest in expanding internationally here at FLL. Mainly because of the fact that Spirit and AA just have the market completely tied up.

6. propilotjw

Quoting jlbmedia (Reply 4):

Why has JetBlue avoided PHL? Has Jetblue missed it's chance now that US Airways has seemingly beat back WN there? Is there even a chance that JetBlue would even try PHL now?

You've got to remember that airlines pick their battles after looking at how much success is realistic. It's hard for an airline to penetrate another airlines hub. Remember the success (or lack thereof) that JetBlue had in ATL and the subsequent departure from that market. For right now, SJU is working and more connections keep coming. Will JetBlue be in ATL, DFW and PHL? Most likely yes... one day. Just need to wait for the right opportunity.

7. jfklganyc

"You've got to remember that airlines pick their battles after looking at how much success is realistic."

Bingo.

You have to understand that for all their 2 or 3 flights a day cities, JetBlue is huge in JFK and BOS. They are big in FLL, MCO, and SJU and they totally dominate LGB.

They obviously see an opportunity in BOS and SJU right now and they are going to jump in and make those very large cities before someone else does.

When you have an airline like JetBlue that is using a controlled growth formula (10 planes a year) and you have 2 cities such as BOS and SJU growing at such a fast clip, you have to bypass the DFWs of the world . . . for now.

When they are done with those 2 cities, DFW and ATL with a handful of flights will still be there. (Both will likely lose $$ for them anyway)

8. safetyDemo

JetBlue is also an airline that doesn't rely heavily on connections. They seem to always go where they can get O&D traffic - which makes more money. Example: JAX-SJU. Are those people connecting in SJU? Probably not. Same for SDQ-SJU. Are those people connecting? Not really. Its a smart business move. Why carry them twice for the same amount of money you can get to carry someone once? I would be interested in knowing how many of their passengers really connect in BOS or JFK and how it compares to other airlines and their hubs.

9. WesternA318

I havent followed B6 much, and the two times I've flown them were both bad experiences, but I am wondering, if the routes they have or had in SLC will keep flying, or shuttered or if SLC will see any more B6 growth?

10. BOStonsox

They hope to expand to 150 flights per day here in BOS, which is good but likely requires all of Terminal C. Let's see if they get it. Whle B6 will open new cities, I think they may connect a few dots here as well.

The only viable domestic routes (of all of the current B6 cities) not served from BOS are:

LGA- If they get the slots, this should make money. AA is pulling out of this route and B6 should fill the gap. HOU- I don't know why they don't fly this yet. The market is there, and it only has JFK service! SLC- This is a DL hub route, and DL will fight tooth and nail, but there is still enough room for two. SMF- This does crack 150 PDEW from BOS/PVD/MHT in the summer, so it may be a good seasonal route. ROC- This would require them to scare US off and get enough connecting pax, which might be possible.

For current international cities, POP, UVI, and BGI are my best guesses. POP has tourists, UVI is one city that some here have said will work, and BGI was once flown by AA.

11. B6JFKH81

Quoting safetyDemo (Reply 8):

I would be interested in knowing how many of their passengers really connect in BOS or JFK and how it compares to other airlines and their hubs.

For JFK, a lot of flights from ROC/SYR/BUF/PWM/BTV have connecting pax going to destinations in Flordia where the direct flights don't exist on B6, the Caribbean, and to the west coast. And, on my recent trip to work in ANC I took our seasonal service through LGB and the return flight (ANC-LGB) there were a bunch of pax connecting to destinations like LAS and IAD, and even a couple going to AUS. How do they compare to other airline "hubs" where you do have a more "hub-and-spoke" operation, I don't think it compares at this point because the airline is just not big enough yet, but there is quite a bit of connecting folks at JFK and connecting flights are available during the booking process.

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 9):

if the routes they have or had in SLC will keep flyingB6 has a "service center" in SLC. If you call 1-800-JETBLUE to make a reservation, you're talking to someone in SLC. Quite a few other specific departments are also located out there. So, unless B6 pulls their "service center" out of SLC, I doubt you will see B6 pull their flights out completely as they provide a way of connecting the NY "service and training center" with the SLC "service center", and LGB training center. As far as expansion, that's a tough one to call. DL would react very harshly and it would be a fare war blood bath where nobody would win until someone pulls out....and since SLC is a big city for DL, B6 would probably be the one pulling out.

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 5):

Mainly because of the fact that Spirit and AA just have the market completely tied up.

That didn't stop B6 in other places. As stated above, B6 needed to pick their battles. They are a NY based airline and wanted to explode in JFK...and they did. Then they set their eyes on BOS, and today they are the #1 airline there. The airline is only 11 years old and has put nearly 70 "dots on the map" and have become huge in quite a few places. It takes time, planning, coordination, proper facilities, and APPROVAL to do these things. Watch the stocks when B6 announces expansion...the stocks will normally drop even though route is probably a winner. Why? Because they want less capacity (and other things as well). It's kinda stupid, but that is what happens. Anyway, didn't B6 just move to a different terminal in FLL like a year or two ago? Possibly one of the reasons for the delay in international expansion was facilities and the need for CBT?

Quoting avi8 (Thread starter):

They don't offer many intra-carribean connections.

Because, while SJU has been on our map for quite some time, B6 had to focus on the direct service from their main focus cities first. Again, the airline is only 11 years old. But you also have to consider, what types of aircraft are intra-carribean flights operating with currently? ATR's, ERJ's, some mainline, and CapeAir is operating planes even smaller. B6 doesn't have planes smaller than the E190. That's a lot of plane for a lot of the intra-caribbean markets!

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 1):

But they will! Heavy 190 flying coming.

...and that comes at a cost. Remember, B6 does not have their own MX or Supply Chain crews in SJU, or any other Caribbean destination for that matter. Having a true "focus city" would most likely require these crews to open up shop down there to properly support the amount of traffic accordingly. Current MX cities for B6 are BOS, BUF, JFK, EWR, IAD, FLL, PBI, MCO, TPA, LGB, SFO (notice how most flights in the route network typically start or end at a MX city?). It's a huge investment to open up a MX city...but with increased E190 traffic flow in a particular city, it would be needed. Also remember, B6 announced a cap on the number of E190's they will have in their fleet when they announced their NEO and A321 orders.

~H81

[Edited 2011-09-03 11:07:33]

[Edited 2011-09-03 11:28:53]

12. planeguy727

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 10):

ROC- This would require them to scare US off and get enough connecting pax, which might be possible.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 11):

For JFK, a lot of flights from ROC/SYR/BUF/PWM/BTV have connecting pax

This why ROC-BOS is unlikely. There is decent ROC-NYC flow and given the network from JFK B6 would be stealing their own pax if routed over BOS. For the cx pax (florida, etc) they have ROC covered via JFK.

13. SANFan

Another question regarding B6 is born out by the posts so far in this thread: the left coast. Except for LA (of course) and a flicker of activity at SF, there seems to be absolutely nothing happening out here west of the Mississippi. I think of Blue now as nothing but an east coast (and Caribbean) carrier -- with a sprinkling of outstations in the west seeing JFK, BOS, and from some of the stations, a few LGB flights.

VX also handles LAX and SFO very nicely but again, the rest of the west sees little change and nothing new and seems to be rather irrelevant to the overall JetBlue network. I tend to wonder how B6's presence and image out in this half of the country is holding up?

bb

14. B6JFKH81

Quoting SANFan (Reply 13):

This is just my opinion

Some really funky things have been happening out there on the west coast over the years that I think have made B6 hold off on expansion plans.

1) The LGB saga. B6 has been operating out of a trailer park now for a DECADE. B6 was promised a new facility, and the city of Long Beach kept on playing games...to the point where B6 got fed up and started operations at LAX too just to drive the point "yeah, we're prepared to move the entire operation to LAX if we need to". B6 also was hoping the E190 would be able to get a waiver so they could use the "regional" slots at LGB instead of mainline. That would have allowed expansion. But that was turned down and once again, B6 was boxed in at their SoCal focus city without hope for expansion. Are we getting a new terminal there? Yes, it's about damn time. But, we are still maxed out for the most part at LGB.

2) The bay area saga. B6 operated at OAK, SMF and SJC for their NorCal cities...and there were a LOT of people coming over the bridge from San Fran to take the cheaper flights we were offering from OAK compared to those at SFO. Then VX started. Less people came over the bridge and B6 had to shift capacity from OAK to SFO. That just got finished on my departments end a few months ago as Tech Ops/Supply Chain got moved from OAK to SFO. Now you have 2 "LCC-ish" airlines overlapping on the same flights (particularly SFO-JFK and SFO-BOS) and at 1 end you have one airline's home or major operation, and the other end you have the other's. So you get a mix of loyalty.

So, and again this is just IMHO so please don't    me as if I were speaking on behalf of the airline, I believe the west coast expansion has been hindered by a few things, but the overall theme is issues happening at a secondary airport forcing a re-focus to go to the primary airports for those cities (LAX for the LA area, and SFO for the San Fran area) and a fierce battle with VX. Do I think that we will see a re-focus again in the future? Sure, when the NEOs show up and when the messes listed above get sorted out. I also believe that with the focus on the Caribbean and BOS expansion, there is just no way the airline can even start expanding elsewhere at this time.

~H81

15. avi8

What about the rumored expansion to Central America?

16. yellowtail

Quoting avi8 (Reply 15):

Its coming.......

17. avi8

When is it coming? When will JB make the announcement?

18. SANFan

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 14):

I believe the west coast expansion has been hindered by a few things, but the overall theme is issues happening at a secondary airport forcing a re-focus to go to the primary airports for those cities (LAX for the LA area, and SFO for the San Fran area) and a fierce battle with VX.

And again, this is exactly what I was saying: you use '"west coast" and "LA and SF" interchangeably and I'm sure that is the JetBlue philosophy. The west coast IS LA and SF, right? Any expansion or growth anywhere else in the west? Nope, not going to happen under present management.

And of course that is just the same thinking as our friends over at VX (expect of course if and when a western city might happen to be connected to LA or SF.) I personally am waiting for the day when B6 and VX run each other into the ground -- the very crowded ground of LAX and SFO. And while they continue to duke it out there, oblivious to any other markets in the west, I see at least one (maybe two) much smarter cx gradually and quietly (continue) building loyalty, presence, and support at some of those "insignificant" airports out West.

And one morning, B6 and/or VX will wake up and say, "what happened to us out west?" I look forward to that day...

bb

19. AirJamaica

Yes but sadly (to me at least), they haven't expressed that much interest in expanding internationally here at FLL. Mainly because of the fact that Spirit and AA just have the market completely tied up.

I was always of the impression that limited gates and the need for FLL expansion ( not certain how much expanding that airport can do ) is also a factor in B6 not being larger internationally there. Routes such as PAP, KIN, MBJ and other Central/South American destinations could work for them I think, though AA has all those cities ( and MANY ) more covered from their huge MIA hub next door. But yes the primary focus for them at the moment seem to be BOS, JFK & SJU.

20. Icebird757

And one day VX will exist to be no more leaving B6 to continue flying.

21. kiwiandrew

I wonder whether LH will ever put their stake in B6 up for sale? The investment made a lot more sense at the time when LH did not have a partner in the NYC area. Now that they have UA as a partner at EWR the relationship with B6 is not so crucial for LH anymore. While I can't see LH necessarily in a rush to dispose of their stake since it is returning money to them I can't help feeling that life would become interesting if they were to put it up for sale. I imagine AA ( or their friends at IAG) would bid hard for it . Even though a 19% stake is a long way from a controlling interest I don't imagine AA would like to see LH's stake picked up by either DL or US. Any thoughts on the future of the LH stake?

22. avi8

I dont think so. Spmething I dont understand is why B6 doesnt sell other airlines' tickets in their website. Airlines with which they code share like American and lufhansa.

23. Blueman87

whens jetBlue going to annouce the engines for the A320NEO's?

24. EMBQA

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 1):

"They don't offer many intra-carribean connections."

My guess.. as with foreign carries here in the US, they're not allowed to

Quoting jlbmedia (Reply 4):

Why has JetBlue avoided PHL?

Two words.... Delays.. USAirways...

25. MAH4546

Spirit does not have anything tied up. B6 has been able to become the marketshare leader in just about every route where it competes with NK, Including FLLSDQ and FLLNAS, but B6 does not have the international gate space that NK has,

Quoting avi8 (Reply 22):

I dont think so. Spmething I dont understand is why B6 doesnt sell other airlines' tickets in their website. Airlines with which they code share like American and lufhansa.

B6 does not codeshare with AA. It is an interline and FF program agreement, but no codeshare, yet.

26. B6JFKH81

Quoting avi8 (Reply 22):

dont think so. Spmething I dont understand is why B6 doesnt sell other airlines' tickets in their website. Airlines with which they code share like American and lufhansa.

I think we already do that. For example, if you actually go to www.jetblue.com and go to buy a ticket from BUF to LHR, you will get a B6 flight match for BUF-JFK, then AA for JFK-LHR. OR, if you just look for tickets JFK-LHR, you get AA flights and EI through DUB. So this is already happening, I don't know to what extent exactly though.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 18):

you use '"west coast" and "LA and SF" interchangeably and I'm sure that is the JetBlue philosophy. The west coast IS LA and SF, right? Any expansion or growth anywhere else in the west? Nope, not going to happen under present management.

I think you missed my overall point SANFan. We need a significant base that allows for growth out there in order to do such expansion. The two issues I spoke of already are big issues in actually having a base set up and now the alternate plans need to be hammered out.

It has been made pretty clear over the years that there are MANY places that people want us to fly into in the mid-west, but there just isn't enough demand to fills the planes we have to the major cities we fly to. The further west you go, the more you have a lot of service already from various airlines to their hubs/significant operations (LAX, SFO, DEN, SLC, PHX, SEA) from the smaller cities. Is there a particular city that you are wanting to see added to the map? What exactly are you looking for B6 to do? Are you seeing big $$ makers that are missed out there? Help us to understand what you would like to see (not trying to be bitchy here either, just trying to understand SANFan).

The management has done what was requested by the B.O.D. and investors...scale back growth, watch the capacity, curb costs, and be more careful about picking their battles and new destinations. I personally would love to see more connecting of the current dots on the map but it looks like they are focused in on the cash cow flights in the Caribbean right now.

~H81

27. contrails15

One thing that is missed here is the reason why you don't see such rapid growth these days as opposed to the early days of Jetblue is that Nealman had his hands all over the route map and handling of money. Talk about making it rain, Nealman was the king of that and almost drove the company into the ground because of it. Every month would be not one but three cities sometimes announced and off the bat huge orders from airbus and unfortunately embraer which in my opinion was a bust. He basically got driven out because board members and share holders couldn't take it anymore. So whats my point. Well, that is why you don't see such rapid growth anymore. Growth yes but not so fast paced as in the early years.

28. BOStonsox

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 25):

B6 does not codeshare with AA. It is an interline and FF program agreement, but no codeshare, yet.

Is there something you know of coming?

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 26):

It has been made pretty clear over the years that there are MANY places that people want us to fly into in the mid-west, but there just isn't enough demand to fills the planes we have to the major cities we fly to.

For those mid-sized cities in Ohio and Indiana, the demand is there from BOS, and they are currently served by DL RJs. B6 could compete. Skybus had a part in why B6 left CMH, now they should be able to make it work. They do want to serve business routes from BOS, and those cities are close enough to work. The major hubs like DTW and MSP could work, it's gonna be an uphill battle.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 26):

Is there a particular city that you are wanting to see added to the map? What exactly are you looking for B6 to do?

I think he wants more SAN expansion.

Quoting avi8 (Reply 15):

That will probably be next. I wonder personally if and when they will go to Europe. There is a lot of money there and BOS and JFK are perfect hubs for it, but of course B6 needs the planes.

29. N623JB

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 28):

I do agree on the Transatlantic expansion. I do think there is demand there. JetBlue would be the first low-fare US airline to do it, if they do. I'd like to see the B787s in their fleet. It will happen its just a matter of when.

30. OzarkD9S

Quoting N623JB (Reply 29):

JetBlue would be the first low-fare US airline to do it, if they do.

First yes, if you exclude People Express, World, Transamerica, Capitol and Tower Air.

31. avi8

Delta and American don't have what it takes to make a NY hub successful. Their schedules are lame. Jetblue offers frequencies and comfortable schedules for good connections and plenty of more destinations. It's just a matter of time before they go to Europe with their connections already established.

32. contrails15

Quoting avi8 (Reply 31):

Delta and American don't have what it takes to make a NY hub successful. Their schedules are lame. Jetblue offers frequencies and comfortable schedules for good connections and plenty of more destinations. It's just a matter of time before they go to Europe with their connections already established.

ALOT of time if it happens at all. Nothing of the sort would even happen maybe until the NEO jets come in and even then all there gonna do is solve our tech stop problem going to the west coast in the winter and of course save on fuel and mx costs. Focus right now will be on BOS new terminal and heavy expansion out of there when its done and turning SJU into a focus city where you'll see a similar routes like Eagle had. The demand is there with Eagle pulling out heavy and the horrible selection of airlines you have down there already. A good inexpensive product is whats being demanded and doing it out of SJU makes perfect sense with all the backing that the state gov't of SJU has given Jetblue. My opinion.

33. BOStonsox

Quoting avi8 (Reply 31):

It's just a matter of time before they go to Europe with their connections already established.

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 32):

ALOT of time if it happens at all.

I'm in between both of you, I don't think it will be "a matter of time", but I think somewhere between 2015 and 2020 will be about the time they do it. It will also help if they join an alliance.

Quoting N623JB (Reply 29):

I do think there is demand there.

The problem won't be demand. Boston is the fourth largest TATL market and New York is the largest. With all the frequent flyers and business traffic, B6 will have enough demand from those cities in their pocket. The rest will be connections.

34. MillwallSean

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 28):

That will probably be next. I wonder personally if and when they will go to Europe. There is a lot of money there and BOS and JFK are perfect hubs for it, but of course B6 needs the planes.

Quoting avi8 (Reply 31):

Problem is the more connections the less you make on the flights. Jetblue has to compete with price to Europe. The less amount of connections they get the better chance of making it.

Low cost has to stimulate demand most of the time. Is it that easy to stimulate demand from the US to Europe? And yes i put the US first because jetblue wont take any of the European corporate pie but maybe they can get some of the US. They are then left with leisure passengers, a large group but also a very fickle and price conscious group. The costs to go to Europe is huge. planes don't do 4 hour trips they do 6-8 hour trips. Crews have to overnight, meaning increased employee pools, scheduling gets harder, more issues to consider etc. European airports costs a lot more than US airports, Languages, it's not just launching the flight and be done with it. Even if you launch flights to say Ireland and the UK, English-speaking markets, you are in a market where Jetblue is unknown and where US carriers are seen as inferior. It's a hard task to fly to Europe profitably and jetblue should only do that when they know they have the resources and capability to really do so. I don't think that time is now, nor in the coming 4 years. After 2015 maybe.

I don't think the right plane for Jetblue is the 787. I don't see it as a great plane for US eastcoast to Europe, or if they want to go deeper east coast South America. the plane just dont fit jetblues potential routemap well. Especially not in lowcost configuration.

What I agree with is that jetblue has the perfect hubs for Europe. New York and Boston followed by a strong presence in Florida. Thats as good as it gets for European and South American trips and eventually jetblu should take advantage of this.

Jetblue should stick to what it's doing. Avoid all these midwest markets that don't make them money and instead increase Caribbean, Latin America and coastal destinations. Grow Boston and get as many JFK slots as they can. Close down EWR if possible trade some slots there with JFK ones from UA. Perhaps consider Canada but I remain sceptical about too much capacity to Canada. It's not an easy market for US lowcost airlines. Costs are higher and going international always require more planning and resources.

35. mah4546

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 33):

The problem won't be demand. Boston is the fourth largest TATL market and New York is the largest. With

Along with NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and Washington are larger markets to Europe than Boston.

JetBlue might fly to Europe one day, but only after it merges with somebody else.

36. BOStonsox

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 35):

Along with NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and Washington are larger markets to Europe than Boston.

JetBlue might fly to Europe one day, but only after it merges with somebody else.

Hmm. I read here that BOS was the fourth largest market to Europe. Maybe it was WESTERN Europe? And why would B6 need to merge to go to Europe, as opposed to organic growth?

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 34):
Problem is the more connections the less you make on the flights. Jetblue has to compete with price to Europe. The less amount of connections they get the better chance of making it.

That's why the airlines always put in more capacity than the market can handle. Connections are lower yielding, but it does bring in business.

[Edited 2011-09-04 20:41:50]

37. caleb1

Will B6 be opeing a crew base in SJU?

38. pit

B6 is adding a fourth BOS-ORD starting Sept 7.

39. avi8

Excellent news! Boston is just exploding with JetBlue! I remember last summer (2010) when they added service to Charlotte and other cities and a bunch of new frequencies. I saw all of the advertisements in the city busses and metro stations.

40. flyby519

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 37):

Doubtful, seeing that there arent many overnighting aircraft. Maybe someday, but not in the near future

41. mah4546

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 36):

Hmm. I read here that BOS was the fourth largest market to Europe. Maybe it was WESTERN Europe? And why would B6 need to merge to go to Europe, as opposed to organic growth?

There might be a metric where BOS ranks fourth (daily seats in the summer?), but it's the 7th largest by annual O&D.

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 36):

And why would B6 need to merge to go to Europe, as opposed to organic growth?

Because JetBlue isn't going to Europe on it's own. Imagine if there were internet forums in the late 70s when Southwest was as old as JetBlue was today. You'd see the same stuff, "when is Southwest going to Europe." And people might have said, "it's only a matter of time," but we're still waiting.

Flying to Europe will destroy JetBlue's business model. It is pretty safe to say the answer is never.

42. tharanga

Quoting propilotjw (Reply 6):

Will JetBlue be in ATL, DFW and PHL? Most likely yes... one day. Just need to wait for the right opportunity.

with WN pulling out of BOS-PHL, I'd say now is a pretty good time for PHL. With their strength in the BOS market, I would think they could co-exist profitably with US on this route. Maybe I'm wrong; I'm no expert.

PHL would be a BOS-only spoke, which isn't optimal, but also not unprecedented.

43. BOStonsox

Quoting tharanga (Reply 42):

With their strength in the BOS market, I would think they could co-exist profitably with US on this route. Maybe I'm wrong; I'm no expert.

Given the size of the BOS-PHL market, B6 definitely should be able to make this one work.

44. tharanga

sounds like B6 will take some of FL's gates in terminal C, BOS. I'd rather have more UA gates than the FL gates, but you take what's on offer.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/busines.../index.html?p1=Well_Business_links

45. Blueman87

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 12):

This why ROC-BOS is unlikely

i heard rumors of SYR-Bos but the Airports not lowering the fees

46. BOStonsox

Quoting Blueman87 (Reply 45):

i heard rumors of SYR-Bos but the Airports not lowering the fees

That market is really small and US is about to drop it. B6 will need to rely almost completely on connections. If BOS-SYR ever happened, BOS-ROC would happen too.

Colgan is about to leave BOS completely, shrinking US's ops further. If 9K takes those routes then they should codeshare with B6 on all those flights, but that probably won't happen. Maybe US will be small enough for UA/CO to move to Terminal B in their old gates.

Quoting tharanga (Reply 44):

sounds like B6 will take some of FL's gates in terminal C, BOS. I'd rather have more UA gates than the FL gates, but you take what's on offer.

Those gates aren't connected to the rest of Terminal C, are they? But the more gates, the merrier.

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 41):

Flying to Europe will destroy JetBlue's business model. It is pretty safe to say the answer is never.

Is it the needed new plane types, high costs, or both? When Maxjet was looking at BOS they said BOS-STN would be good for connecting the biotech corridors in MA and East Anglia, and I'm skeptical about that, however IF B6 ever served London that's probably where they would go. JFK-STN didn't seem to do too bad either. It's a shame, you can't top the hubs they already have for TATL flying.

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 41):

There might be a metric where BOS ranks fourth (daily seats in the summer?), but it's the 7th largest by annual O&D.

Western Europe would make sense. It would explain why SFO is on that list. BOS has more flights than SFO to Europe but I know that a decent amount of BOS pax connect onwards to Africa or the Middle East.

47. tharanga

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 46):

Those gates aren't connected to the rest of Terminal C, are they?

Correct. The recently renovated food court would keep you from easily building a sterile-side connection.

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 46):

But the more gates, the merrier.

I'd imagine that optimal for B6 would be to eventually get the entire UA side, and then have some airline displaced from elsewhere fit into the 3 FL gates.

48. RobK

Does anyone know what's happening with A320 N522JG? I thought it was supposed to have rejoined the fleet earlier this year but still appears to be mothballed.

49. wepaman

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 40):

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 37):

Doubtful, seeing that there arent many overnighting aircraft. Maybe someday, but not in the near future

Well I beg the different...

There are too many Flight Crew Overnight in SJU...

50. jfklganyc

"Well I beg the different...

There are too many Flight Crew Overnight in SJU..."

It's not about overnighting crews but overnighting aircraft.

If you have no overnighting aircraft, there are no originating crews which means no base.

51. N757ST

Not necessarily, though with a lack of overnighters there is less incentive for a base. The way we use aircraft, at least the a320, there are really few overnighters anywhere. I think the biggest hurdle is very very few pikots would want to be based there. Flight attendants, well, thats another story.

-7st B6 Bos a320fo

52. pit

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU6109

[Edited 2011-09-19 10:03:22]

53. jonathanxxxx

To add to the news: JetBlue recently applied with the DOT for a daily FLL-BOG flight. They will try to begin January 15, 2012 Schedule: FLL-BOG 1030-1415 BOG-FLL 1515-1900.

Finally more expansion from FLL!

54. Blueman87

When is there A320NEO engine choice coming?

55. avi8

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 53):

To add to the news:

JetBlue recently applied with the DOT for a daily FLL-BOG flight. They will try to begin January 15, 2012 Schedule: FLL-BOG 1030-1415 BOG-FLL 1515-1900.

Finally more expansion from FLL!

I guess the Latin American expansion is only getting closer!

56. avi8

Any new rumors and/or annoucements? I'm confused with the current news

57. flyby519

Quoting avi8 (Reply 56):

Any new rumors and/or annoucements? I'm confused with the current news

Some rumors on the line of new bluecities that are existing hubs of competitors...